Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hills and wind

Today’s Route: Landsdown
Distance: 3.0 miles

We added a little distance to this route today to get right at 3 miles. We had a pace of 10:05, which is good considering the hills and the fact that we were running into a head wind up most of the hills. It was a challenge, but I did good. I didn’t feel the urge to give up until almost the end, and I pushed through. Every now and then, when I’m running, I’ll get this feeling that I need to stop, that I can’t do it anymore and I have to trick myself into keeping up. The only times I’ve ever stopped to walk is if my stomach starts cramping really bad, or if I get a bad side stitch. If it’s just my head, and I’m just tired, then I have to push through. I tell myself that I’m not in any pain, and that I just have to keep going.

Today, with all the hills, I was heaving by quitting time, but I was proud because I’d pushed through. I have to admit that I kinda like hills. I mean I hate them, and they wear me out, but I like the feeling of pushing with my legs and feeling the burn in my rear-end. It makes me feel strong somehow. I go up hills at the same pace as running flat, not because I like being fast on hills, but mostly just to get it over with quicker. Which is better? I don’t know, but just getting to the top is an accomplishment. I didn’t notice this last time, but the last haul up Scotty Lane is awful. It’s all uphill, and it varies from “kinda uphill” to “wow that’s a steep hill!” It was really a challenge. Man. But it’s done! We’re gonna do the “Turkey Day 5-Miler” on Saturday morning. That should be fun!

No comments: