Monday, November 3, 2008

Yellow Creek

Today’s Route: Yellow Creek Park
Distance: 3.1 miles

We’re running a little different schedule this week, and we started on Sunday morning. We ran at Yellow Creek Park, and this was a first for me. We started up by the entry gate and ran down the front road and made a right by the ball parks, which takes you to a path that runs along the back of the park and on the backside of the lake. Then we ran across the parking lot next to the lake and then down the big hill to the parking lot for the trails. I thought we were going to run on one of the trails, but we just ran a circle around the parking lot and back up the big hill, past the front side of the lake and up the front drive. This lap was about a mile and a half… oh god, and then we did it again. That hill that leads to the trails is a beast. The second time I went up it, I was breathing audibly, trying to catch my breath and keep going at the same time. I almost wanted to scream, just to push myself and make myself keep going. Once I recovered from the hill the second time, Kevin picked up the pace and started running faster, then Pam, and not to be left behind, I started running faster too. Yeah, it was tough. But considering all of the hills, we managed to keep a pace right under a ten minute mile. I was really proud of that.

It was a pretty cold morning. I wore pants and a t-shirt and that worked really well. After running, I went home and took a shower and crashed in the bed. I felt like I’d been hit by a bus. Sunday morning runs do that to me and hills do that to me. Combine the two and you’ve got the perfect storm of pain. Make it burn! I love it!

No comments: