Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crazy morning!

Today’s Route: Highland Elementary
Distance: 3.6 miles

We ran from Highland Elementary, up 54 to Thruston Dermont Road and back. The first leg up to Thruston Dermont is a long gradual hill. Good times!

This morning, I had a few snafus. Ok, so first off, I get there right at quarter til 5, and it’s raining a little. I thought I was running late, but no one was there, so I thought I’d come on the wrong day or that they were running somewhere else, or that they’d cancelled and forgot to tell me. Knowing how good they were about telling me stuff, I just decided to wait a few minutes while I decided what to do. I even considered running on my own. Then after a dozen or so cars passed by, one finally turned in. It was Pam. I just assumed Kevin wasn’t going to make it since it was so late and I was the only one there. Then once Pam got out, I got out of my car, and Kevin got out of the truck that I thought was sitting there empty. LOL. I’d look pretty silly running down the driveway at Highland by myself with Kevin sitting there waiting for Pam to arrive. They’d have thought I’d lost my mind. LOL. I can only imagine the embarrassment had I chosen to run out on my own. Thank god for patience and rational thinking!

So it was cold and raining. I had plenty to keep me warm, but I was going to get wet. It wasn’t raining hard, but when it hit, it was going right through my shirt. Thankfully Pam had a big rain jacket that I could use. So I put it on and we set off. I knew I was going to get hot, but thankfully, I didn’t get too hot, and the jacket kept the cold rain off of me. Unfortunately, by the end of the run, I bet that jacket weighed five pounds. It was heavy with cold rain water. It was good though. I think I do need to keep a little warmer. Last time it was that cold, I started stripping down, and while I was pretty warm, the skin on my stomach was cold and red when the run was over, so I think a jacket is a good thing.

After we finished running, we got in our cars and headed out. I went home and got ready for work. Then when I went out to my car , I looked, and my “running car key” was still in the driver’s side door! Apparently I just unlocked my car after the run and didn’t bother to take the key out of the door, and drove home with it in my door! Then I just left it in there while I was in the house getting ready. I laughed when I came out and saw it. I’m just glad no neighborhood kids took it upon themselves to take the car key, or unlock my car and rummage through my things.

So it was kind of a crazy morning. The run was a struggle for me, but I kept up and finished right behind Pam. We ran at a 10:03 pace. Pretty good for rain and cold. I’ve really got to start cutting back on the snacks and over-eating. It’s really affecting my running. I’m reminded that I eat too much every time we head out in the mornings, and my breathing is labored. Today was another perfect example. Gotta keep those thoughts on the front of my brain!!! Onward and upward!

No comments: