Saturday, November 8, 2008

The little engine that could....

Today's Route: Daviess County High School – 5-miler
Distance: 5 miles

The “Turkey Day 5 Miler” is coming up in a few weeks, and we decided to run the route for this race on Saturday. It starts at Daviess County High School and goes down Southeaster Parkway, Down Old Hartford road, up Foors Lane, then up through a neighbor hood (Doe Run, Fawn Dr, Antler Ave) and back to Foors, then through the neighborhood, Stone Creek Park. Then after that, back to Foors, back to Old Hartford, back up Southeastern Parkway to DCHS! Whew! It’s a long route, and it's full of hills.... makes me hurt just thinking about it.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2352380

We met up at about 6:30am, and it was cooooold! I wore pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt. I knew I would warm up, and thankfully, I did. The run was pretty rough. I was really tired to begin with, and I’d had Mexican for dinner the night before. Let me just say that Mexican food is not the best fuel for a run. It will weigh you down! Anyway, I had some stomach cramps about the first two miles into it. I slowed down a little bit and the pain subsided, and then I was able to pick up the pace and catch back up. It was another one of those runs where I had to keep encouraging myself to keep pushing forward. It’s like I make sure that giving up is not an option, so I’ve got to tell myself that I’ve just go to keep going. Unless I’m in severe pain, I’ve got to push myself to keep going. If I have to slow down to keep going, that’s ok, just keep going, don’t stop, don’t start walking, keep jogging, and keep pushing. I have to admit, my positive self-talk works, because before I know it, the run is over and I’ve got 5 miles under my belt! Sometimes it’s really rough, but at the end, I’ve done it and I’m proud. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can….. I can! I did! And I can do it again! Hooray for me! :-D

No comments: